The Westport Woman's Club

GARDEN DEPARTMENT


Garden Department

Our award winning Garden Department had its beginnings in 1910 when the then Women’s Town Improvement Association sponsored a children’s competition for the best flower. However, it was officially established in 1939 when it was inducted into the Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut, Inc. Prize-winning projects of the Garden Department included the Greening of the Post Road and Canal Green Park. Our Garden Department was the winner of the Second National Award in an Environment Improvement Program sponsored by the National Council of State Garden Clubs Inc. and was a pioneer in ecology in the 1970’s.

Monthly meetings are held on the second Tuesday from September to June. Members of the Garden Department enjoy informative guest speakers, field trips, an annual members luncheon in June and the all important Holiday Boutique Sale held during the December Club Day Luncheon. Members participate in workshops beforehand producing tabletop boxwood trees, wreaths, swags and small live green arrangements in decorative containers. Also, members decorate our beautiful Clubhouse for the Winter Holiday Season. Gardening skills are not required to be a member. Just a love of learning new things and having fun with a wonderful group of women. 💮 (Vivian Rosenberg)

*************************

 

 Garden Department Trip to Pepsico – September 2011

Garden Department members Jane Potkin, Mary Lee Clayton, Jeanette Tewey, Leah Scherzer,Vivian Rosenberg , Brenda Sciarra and Denise Kuendig( the photographer) enjoying a beautiful September day at  the Pepsico Sculpture garden with some new” friends.”

 

 *************************

 

Melinda Wolcott Featured Guest at WWC  Garden Department February Meeting

 [slideshow id=24]

 

 

 

 

 

 

« Back to Special Interest Homepage